Sewing 101: Learning to Slay at a Sewing Machine, 6:30-9:30pm, BYO Fabric, use ours or buy cool print in the store for $7
In this fun starter class, you learn basic sewing skills & gain confidence to work with a sewing machine. We show you all the basics to get you going, including how to cut fabric, using a simple pattern, how to perform a few different stitches, creating a simple fold over hem, sewing on simple handles & get you confident creating something with your very own hands. You walk out with a lightweight simple tote bag with fabric handles that's great for groceries or running around town.
With all of these projects, you will gain a solid foundation of machine and hand sewing. You may not be ready to win Project Runway, but at least you’ll be able to sew that ripped pillow on your couch, hem those frayed curtains or tackle that sewing pile. After taking this class, you have the option to take additional sewing classes and various 102 classes. Sewing Bootcamp covers all the material from this class and Sewing 102, which can be a great refresher on 101 with more intense projects. Great idea if you just want another go at a beginner class.
Supplies Needed: We supply all fabric or you can BYO and the machines we have, using a simple Janome 2212 that transfers knowledge easily and can be purchased from retailers for under $150- and will come new and hassle free to set you up right! Please dont bring your own machine. You will be able to choose ½ yard of fabric from our store upon arrival. We offer a very fun selection from Firecracker Fabrics.
Teacher Bio: Maeve learned how to sew outfits for her stuffed bunnies when she was three and hasn't stopped sewing since. She recently studied pattern making and thinks clothes should be made to fit your body, not your body altered to fit standard sized clothes. Her favorite thing to make is something new. When Maeve's not sewing she's making terrariums that she slowly watches die or doing science experiments in the kitchen.
THE RULES, INFO & BORING STUFF:
1. No kiddos, classes are 16 and over.
2. To cancel, move or change classes we need 48hrs notice for this class. So after that, we cant refund you as we lock your space and have a unique matrix of seats in class w costs to keep out teachers paid a fair wage that supports them.
3. Have a gift certificate- just email us to sign up
4. BYOB and BYOS (snacks) is totally cool! Go for it!.
5. Parking in metered till 6pm Mon to Sat, side streets are not but be sure to check for signs! PPA parking app makes life so easy- download it if can.
6. Cancellations by Workshop- time to time we dont get enough sign ups and cancel class or if there is a snow cancellation- we will post cancellations on the site, facebook and instagram. Be sure to check before class but we will email anyone in a cancelled class with at least 24 hrs notice if not more.
SNOW/ BAD WEATHER POLICY: IF IT IS BAD OUT, WE WILL ANNOUNCE CANCELLATIONS ON OUR INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK, AS WELL WE EMAIL WITH AT LEAST A FEW HOURS NOTICE. SO PLEASE CHECK ONE OF THOSE IF ITS MESSY OUT ♥